An Integrative Systems Approach emphasizing Strain and Counterstrain & Myofascial Release Techniques
Learn Integrative Systems Approach to Manual Therapy
Effective, gentle techniques appropriate for all client populations
Course manual with numerous treatment techniques
Lab time for hands-on experience
Treatment protocols for headaches, back pain, neck pain and more
Join us in beautiful Asheville NC for a Destination Location hands-on introductory course!
Time: Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm (registration 8:00-9:00am); Saturday, 9:00am-5:00pm; Sunday, 8:00am-4:00pm
Location: Leicester, NC (just 15 minutes outside of Asheville)
Air BnB: Look for rentals in Leicester and West Asheville for lodging close to the class location.
Course Instructors: Carol Smith, MS, IMT,C & Adrienne Kramer, PT, IMT,C
Cost: $625–$499 EARLY BIRD RATE IF REGISTER BY FEBRUARY 15!!! ($99 non-refundable deposit)
Available Discounts: $499 tuition for early bird registration, groups of 3 or more registering together, military personnel, and students with valid student ID.
Cancellation policy: If cancellation is prior to first day of class, and all tuition has been paid, then tuition will be reimbursed to student minus $99 non-refundable deposit, within 30 days of cancellation date.
Contact Hours/CEHs: This course is approved for NCBTMB CEUs (massage/bodywork) and pending for NC PT CEU approval. This course offers 21 contact hours and will be noted on certificate of completion.
This 3-day practical course is designed to explore the Neuromusculoskeletal System in order to integrate highly effective manual therapy tools into the therapeutic and rehabilitation process for the Orthopedic and Neurological client as well as others. There are many different manual therapy approaches for the treatment of pain and dysfunction and this course will include two that work in congruence for releasing tension of the musculoskeletal system and more.
Strain Counterstrain Technique is an approach used to normalize abnormal neuromuscular physiology. Reduction and arrest of the inappropriate proprioceptor activity which is hypothesized as the basis of “muscle spasm” and also “spasticity” is achieved with this technique. The resulting muscle fiber relaxation and elongation from this decrease in “gamma bias” is accompanied by improved articular balance, increased joint mobility and ranges of motion.
Myofascial Release, the 3-Planar Fascial Fulcrum approach, is a non-aggressive technique to eliminate fascial tensions in the body. This approach, developed by Sharon W. Giammatteo, PhD PT is based on over thirty years of her scientific and clinical research in the field of manual therapy. The 3-planar Fascial Fulcrum Approach has been proven effective in all client populations.
The techniques in this course provide solutions for chronic pain, acute and chronic inflammation, fibromyalgia, rotator cuff syndrome, recurrent subluxations, thoracic outlet syndrome, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, plantar fasciitis, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, promotes healing post surgery, and much more. Course participants will assess and see first-hand increases in ranges of motion which will result from the elimination of protective muscle spasm, decreases in the hypertonicity of spasticity, and releases in fascial tension. Upon completion of this course the therapist will have new comprehensive tools to use in every day clinical practice.
- Learn the Integrative Systems Approach.
- Learn how to evaluate static and dynamic posture while highlighting compensatory patterns.
- Learn and practice Strain and Counterstrain Technique to facilitate correction of biomechanical dysfunction and normalization of joint mobility and muscle tone for improved structural integrity and motor function.
- Become familiar with the anatomy of the physiology of connective tissue system.
- Learn the Soft Tissue and Articular Myofascial Release Technique using the 3-planar Fascial Fulcrum Approach to correct joint and soft tissue dysfunction.
- Learn treatment protocols for correction of low back and spinal dysfunction, upper and lower extremity mobility limitations, joint pain and more.
- Introduction to Integrative Manual Therapy and Structural vs Functional Rehabilitation
- Decreasing Hypertonicity with Manual Therapy – The Myotatic Reflex Arc
- Postural Assessment and Range of Motion Testing
- Introduction to Jones’ Strain Counterstrain Technique
- Lower Extremity Dysfunction: Posture, Synergic Patterns and Compensatory Patterns
- Thorax with Protocol for Treatment of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Neck and Upper Extremity: Posture, Synergic Patterns and Compensatory Patterns
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Connective Tissue System
- Myofascial Dysfunction and Assessment
- Palpation and Hand Skills
- Myofascial Release of Soft Tissue-example Clavipectoral Fascia
- Articular Fascial Release – example Glenohumeral Joint
- Myofascial Release of Transverse Diaphragms
- Advanced Strain Counterstrain for Diaphragm System
- Treatment of Pelvis, Sacrum, and Lumbar Spine with Strain Counterstrain and Myofascial Release
- Putting It All Together
- A Protocol Using Strain Counterstrain and Myofascial Release for the Headache Client
- Protocol for the Neck Pain Client including Disc Therapy
- Protocol for the Back Pain Client
- Synergic Pattern Release for Upper Extremity, Lower Extremity and Face
- Defacilitated Fascial Release Definition and Process
- Introduction to Strain Counterstrain for Organs
- Closing Comments and Questions